The neck is a part of our body that can easily show our age. Even if we take good care of our face and skin, the neck is often neglected. Furthermore, certain characteristics of the neck that get worse as we age are not desirable, such as wrinkles, increased skin laxity, or fullness under the chin. A neck lift procedure can easily address all of these conditions at the same time.
What is a Neck Lift?
A neck lift, or platysmaplasty, is a surgical procedure that can address any increased skin laxity of the lower neck. It is done through incisions that are hidden behind your ear and underneath your chin. A platysmaplasty procedure can lift the muscles, as well as remove any extra skin. It can also be combined with a liposuction procedure in order to remove any excess fat underneath the skin, or a facelift procedure to improve skin laxity of the face.
- Why would someone want a neck lift? Patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their neck but do not have increased skin laxity in their face may consider a neck lift procedure instead of a more extensive facelift procedure.
- Who is a good candidate for a neck lift procedure? Anyone who is healthy and desires rejuvenation of their neck is a good candidate.
- What are the benefits of neck lifts? A platysmaplasty procedure can rejuvenate your neck region, as well as improve the contour of your jaw.
The neck lift procedure consists of three primary steps.
- Consultation: Prior to actually having the procedure, Dr. Zandifar will meet with you and discuss what your goals are for the procedure and how our office can assist you in meeting those goals. You will also be asked about your medical history and any problems that could impact your neck lift.
- Treatment plan and preparation: After your consultation, Dr. Zandifar will discuss what treatment procedures he recommends and why. He will also discuss the surgical plan, as well as what to expect post-op.
- Procedure: After anesthesia is administered, small, hidden incisions are made behind the ears and underneath the chin. Any excess fat is removed using a liposuction technique. The muscle (platysma) is then tightened and elevated. Finally, any extra skin is then removed.
Neck Lift Before/After Gallery
A Commitment to Excellence
Hootan Zandifar, MD, FACS, Board Certified Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
Aftercare and Recovery
After your neck lift procedure, you will have a pressure dressing applied. In general, your neck may be uncomfortable but any pain or discomfort is usually easily controlled with oral medication. The recovery time for neck lifts is very similar to a facelift procedure and will usually take between 1 to 2 weeks to recover from the procedure. Sutures are removed at your 7 day and 14 day post-operative visits. Patients are asked to wear a neck harness at nighttime for about 6 weeks. You may have some bruising, but that should resolve within 1 to 2 weeks.
How long do neck lifts last?
How long your neck lift lasts depends on how well you take care of it. A healthy lifestyle and sun protection are crucial to maintaining the results of your neck lift procedure.
Cost for Neck Lift Surgery
In general, insurance does not pay for neck lifts that are purely cosmetic. The cost for a neck lift procedure can range from $12,000 to $17,000.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you have a double chin, jowls, or a turkey-waddle neck and are unhappy with the appearance, facial liposuction may be a good option for you. Dr. Zandifar is a board-certified in Facial Plastic Surgeon and is able to provide the information needed to make the best choice for you. He and his staff work together to give you a natural-looking result in order to look, and feel, your best. Contact Zandifar MD to schedule a consultation to see if facial liposuction is a good choice for you.