Eyebrow Hair Transplant
Eyebrow hair loss is something many men and women struggle with. Although there are some solutions such as tattooing, microblading, and nanoblading, eyebrow hair transplantation is the only way to regrow natural eyebrows with your own hair.
What Causes Eyebrow Hair Loss?
There are many different reasons why we lose eyebrow hair. The most common being age-related around the age of 40. Other reasons include overplucking, pregnancy and childbirth, stress or anxiety, nutrient deficiencies, or certain illness and diseases.
In addition to cosmetic reasons, eyebrow transplantation is important because eyebrows help protect your eyes from moisture, such as sweat. Eyebrow transplants provide a natural, and permanent, solution that makeup, tattooing, and microblading cannot.
- What is an eyebrow transplant? Eyebrow transplantation is a hair transplant procedure where individual hair is harvested from the back or side of the scalp and transplanted into the eyebrow region. The harvesting is carried out through a follicular unit extraction (FUE), meaning that there is minimal to no scarring. The transplantation is carried out via a follicular unit transplantation (FUT) technique, thus allowing the eyebrow to look completely natural.
- Why would someone want an eyebrow transplant? Anyone who has lost all or part of their eyebrows or just wants a fuller eyebrow should consider eyebrow transplantation.
- How long do eyebrow transplants last? The new eyebrows last a lifetime. If you feel your eyebrows are not as dense as you were hoping after the procedure, you can discuss a touch-up procedure.
Eyebrow Hair Transplant Procedure
There are two major steps in an eyebrow transplant procedure; harvesting donor follicles and transplanting the follicles to your eyebrow.
- Consultation: Before your procedure, Dr. Zandifar will meet with you and discuss your desired outcome, as well as the procedure and risks. He will also examine both your eyebrow region and your scalp for potential donor sites.
- General anesthetic: Prior to harvesting the donor follicles, the areas being worked on will be injected with a local anesthetic, and you may also receive sedation or general anesthesia if you desire but the majority of our patients opt to have only local anesthesia.
- Small incisions at follicle donor sites (FUE method): To harvest the donor follicles, a small area of the hair is shaved and small punch incisions are made to remove individual hair follicles. Generally, stitches are not required using this method because the incisions are so small.
- Hairs transplanted to eyebrows (FUT method): After the follicles are harvested, small incisions are made in your eyebrow, and hair follicles are transplanted individually and precisely, to ensure hair growth is natural looking.
A Commitment to Excellence
Hootan Zandifar, MD, FACS, Board Certified Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
Eyebrow Transplant Recovery
The recovery is usually 10 to 14 days, but the down time is minimal. You may experience some bruising, swelling, or pain, but most pain is easily controlled with minimal pain medication. Most of the care is focused on not rubbing or picking the transplanted hairs until they have taken hold in the new location. There will be scabs that form around your new eyebrows and it is essential not to pick at them, as it can cause the transplant to fail. Once the eyebrow hair implants have taken hold, then normal activity can be resumed.
It will take a few months but usually after 3-6 months, the newly transplanted hairs will start to grow and fill in the eyebrows giving you a natural appearing full set of eyebrows. Because your newly transplanted hairs are from the back of your head, they tend to grow longer than your natural eyebrow hairs. Many patients report trimming their newly transplanted hairs every couple of months.
Eyebrow Transplant Cost
Eyebrow transplantation is not covered by your insurance and can typically cost between $5000 and $8000. Rarely, your insurance may pay a portion of the cost if the procedure is deemed necessary due to hair loss from an accident or underlying medical condition.
Schedule Your Consultation
Dr. Zandifar is a double board-certified and fellowship-trained facial plastic surgeon, and our office is able to offer individualized services from experts with decades of experience in hair transplantation. We are a boutique practice that focuses on excellence and customer care. Contact us today to schedule a consultation to discuss how an eyebrow transplant could help restore your natural eyebrows.