Facelift Specialist serving Los Angeles
What is Facelift?
A facelift procedure, also known as a rhytidectomy, is a facial cosmetic surgical procedure that helps to improve the overall appearance of the lower face, jawline, and neck region. As we age, gravity will take its toll on the structures of our face, and the skin in the lower face and neck starts to droop. In addition to gravity, sun exposure, various environmental factors, and smoking can damage the skin and cause loose skin, wrinkles, and lax facial muscles. The face we see in the mirror changes, sometimes lowering confidence and self-esteem, and it does not always match the way we feel.
Why would someone want a facelift?
A plastic surgery facelift is a procedure that will reverse the signs of facial aging that appear in the lower face and neck. Therefore, patients who have noticed increased skin laxity in their face and neck or who have noticed that their jawline is no longer smooth or who have seen increased drooping of the lines around the nose and lip, also known as Nasolabial folds and Marionette lines, can see significant benefits from a facelift.
- What can a facelift treat: Typical age-related skin problems such as, jowls, double chin, sagging facial skin, wrinkles, and smile lines.
- Benefits: Getting a facelift can decrease the signs of aging and make you look the way you feel. It can boost confidence and self-esteem and give you a youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
Rhytidectomy Before/After Gallery
A Commitment to Excellence
Hootan Zandifar, MD, FACS, Board Certified Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
What is the process for a facelift?
A facelift procedure takes place over a few different appointments including your initial consultation, an appointment for surgery, and additional follow-up appointments as necessary.
- Consultation: At your facelift consultation, Dr. Zandifar will get to know you and your medical history while also examining your face. During your consultation, Dr. Zandifar will ask you about your goals and determine if a facelift procedure is right for you. He will also take photos of our face and neck, discuss his recommendations and surgical plan, and your facelift surgery will be scheduled.
- Surgery: The facelift procedure is typically done under general anesthesia. Depending on the type of facelift you have done, an incision is made along the hairline at your temples, and continues behind your ear. You may also have an incision underneath your chin if work is being done on your neck. During the procedure, the muscles of your face are lifted, and fat may be sculpted or removed. Your skin is then re-draped to fit the lifted contours, as well as smooth wrinkles and lines, and any extra skin will be removed. The incision(s) will be closed with sutures or staples. Sometimes dissolvable sutures or skin glue are used to close incisions.
- Recovery: After your procedure, your face will typically be bandaged to prevent swelling and bruising. Although the procedure is uncomfortable, it is usually easily managed with medication. If dissolvable sutures or skin glue were not used, your sutures or staples will be removed approximately one week after your surgery. The average recovery time after a plastic surgery facelift is between 10-14 days.
Can You Combine Facelifts With Other Procedures?
Yes, depending on the look you are trying to achieve, other procedures might be necessary in combination with a facelift. Procedures commonly paired with facelifts are:
Who are good candidates?
As long as you are in good health and want to look the way you feel, then you should be a good candidate for a rhytidectomy. Good blood flow, adequate skin elasticity, and strong bone structure are important factors for successful results. If you smoke, you will have the best outcome and recovery if you are able to quit smoking for several weeks before and after your plastic surgery facelift.
Am I Too Old For A Facelift?
Patients who undergo a facelift procedure are anywhere between 30 and 70 years old. Most patients are between their 40s and 60s. During your consultation, Dr. Zandifar will ask you about your goals and determine if a facelift procedure is right for you.
Are Facelifts Only For Women?
No, anyone can get a facelift procedure no matter their gender.
Can I Get A Second Facelift?
If you are unhappy with the results of your first facelift procedure, or enough time has passed since your first and the effects have worn off, a second facelift can be performed.
How Much does a Facelift Cost?
Facelifts can vary in pricing from around $20,000 to $30,000. Insurance rarely covers the cost of plastic surgery that is done for purely cosmetic reasons. However, you can always check with your insurance to be sure.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you are unhappy with the face that stares back at you in the mirror, a facelift may be a good option to give you the look you want and match how you feel. Contact Beverly Hills facelift surgeon, Dr. Zandifar for a consultation to see if a facelift can help you love the face that looks out from your mirror.